Skip to main content

New Mascot for the Republicans

 "Wanamaker?  He's a trouble-maker!"  

This, my wife told me, not once but many times.  Did I listen?  No, but I should have.  

Wanamaker is a deep thinker.  He is philosophically opposed to driving, so he sticks mostly to our town and rides his bicycle everywhere.  Even in Winter.  Even in snow.  

A couple of days ago, he came into the store.  It was blazing hot outside, and while he is philosophically opposed to Air Conditioning, his convictions do not prevent him from coming into my store to cool down.

"I have made an important advance in Political Science," he told me, interrupting my work.

"OK.  What is it now?" I asked, against my better judgement.

He pulled out a piece of paper with a cartoon on it;




"It's a happy elephant," I said.  "Where is its rear-end?"

"Not important," continued Wanamaker.  "Now what does a picture of an Elephant remind you of?"

"The zoo?" I asked.

"No, no!" he said, "I mean, politically."

"Uhhh, wait.... An American Political Party?" 

"Exactly!  The Republicans!"

"Cut me some slack, eh?" I countered.  "This is Canada.  American politics is not my strong suite."

"A single Elephant has been the emblem of the Republican Party for many decades," continued Wanamaker, "but now that the Republicans have increased their power and scope, they really need something more--symbolically."

"More than an elephant?" I queried.  

"I'm talking about more elephants!" Wanamaker concluded in triumph.  "You don't get it."

I guess my face gave me away.

"OK then, just look at this--"

He pulled another piece of paper out of his pocket and smoothed it out on the counter.  It was a complex design.  At first I thought it was a bunch of bones.

"Do you see it?" asked Wanamaker eagerly.



"OK-- Four elephants?"  
"Exactly!  Four Elephants!"

"I still don't get it," I told him.  "How is this a better emblem for the Republicans than one Elephant?"
Wanamaker rubbed his hands together.  "It represents all that the Republicans have become!  The Republicans have combined Government, Industry, Politics and the Courts into a single, integrated streamlined system that puts our enemies in their place and gets money back from all the people who have been taking advantage of the Americans all these years."

I still looked puzzled.

"It's highly symbolic," he continued.  "See the way that the feet of the Elephants interlock-- Everything is coordinated, streamlined--efficient!"   He continued, "I think I should put it at the centre of something.  Maybe the Centre of a Circle!  And put it on a flag of Republican Red..."

"Wanamaker," I said, "I think you're stirring up trouble.  You'd better stick to Canadian Politics.  They're a lot easier to understand than the US variety."   
And with that, I went back to work..








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Installing HR Block Tax Software in Ubuntu Linux using Codeweavers Crossover

Running HR Block 2017 Tax Software in Ubuntu Linux  Using CodeWeavers Crossover 2017 US taxes are due to be filed by midnight on April 18, 2018. It will surprise no one that a lot of people have waited to the last minute to start filing. At 9:30 PM, I got a call from a young relative who needed to do his taxes for the first time ever. He is a Linux enthusiast, and does not have a Windows or Apple/Mac computer. I thought I would try installing HR Block 2017 Tax Software on the Linux side of my laptop. 1) Obtain and install Codeweavers Crossover for Linux This software allows you to run many Windows apps in Linux-- https://www.codeweavers.com/ 2) Download the HR Block Windows tax software package. This year, its available from www.hrblock.com/2017/DELUXEWIN You will need an activation code, which should be provided when you buy the package. The default download location is /home/yourname/Downloads/ The app’s ...

The Big Reset

A lot of people are very upset about global financial conditions these days.   Almost everyone I know is struggling to make ends meet, and failing at it.  Debt levels are high, wages are not keeping up with inflation, our standards of living are going down year by year.  The most likely endpoint of this process, for most of us, seems to be bankruptcy--But bankruptcy is increasingly being prohibited by law.  The only people who seem to be prospering in the current environment are the Very Rich, Government Employees, and Organized Criminals. In the banking crisis in 2008, we bailed out the banks.  It has gotten us nowhere.  The banking industry has continued the same bad practices that got it into trouble in the first place.  We are heading for another crisis of the same kind, but orders of magnitude larger.   The usual endpoint for all this is a giant financial crisis, mass bankruptcy, hyperinflation, chaos, war, bankers and politicians ha...

How to get AAX Audiobook files into Audible Manager

How to get AAX files into Audible Manager – 20180121 My System; Lenovo ThinkPad E440 running Windows 7 64-bit running Audible Manager 5.5.0.8 My MP3 player – Sansa Fuze THE PROBLEM I can download .AAX files from my Audible account to my windows PC, but cannot get them into the Audible Manager. For several years, I have had to manually import audiobook files into the Audible Manager after downloading them from Audible. The usual process was to download the new Audiobook to the default location, C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\Audible\Downloads I would then start up the Audible Manager's army green box. Clicking [File] and selecting [Add Audio Files] in the upper right corner would take me directly to the default file location, where all of the previous downloads reside. I would then left click on the file, and click the [Import] tab at the bottom of the page to import my new AAX Audio file into Audible Manager. Once it was there, I could l...