Skip to main content

Installing HR Block Tax Software in Ubuntu Linux using Codeweavers Crossover


Running HR Block 2017 Tax Software in Ubuntu Linux 
Using CodeWeavers Crossover

2017 US taxes are due to be filed by midnight on April 18, 2018. It will surprise no one that a lot of people have waited to the last minute to start filing.

At 9:30 PM, I got a call from a young relative who needed to do his taxes for the first time ever. He is a Linux enthusiast, and does not have a Windows or Apple/Mac computer. I thought I would try installing HR Block 2017 Tax Software on the Linux side of my laptop.

1) Obtain and install Codeweavers Crossover for Linux

This software allows you to run many Windows apps in Linux--


2) Download the HR Block Windows tax software package.

This year, its available from www.hrblock.com/2017/DELUXEWIN
You will need an activation code, which should be provided when you buy the package.
The default download location is /home/yourname/Downloads/
The app’s name is something like HRBlock_Deluxe.exe

3) Start CrossOver

4) Click [Install Windows Software]

5) Select an Application to Install

At this writing, HRBlock Tax software is not on the extensive list of programs verified to work. No problem--
Scroll to the bottom of the list
Click on “Other Application”

6) Select an Installer

Select “Choose an Installer File”
Go to /home/yourname/Downloads
Choose HRBlock_Deluxe.exe (or whatever the name of your tax package installer is)

7) Click the down arrow on “Will install a new Windows XP Bottle”

Use the down arrow to choose a compatible Windows OS version for your tax package.
I chose Win 7

Suggest you name the new bottle something like HRBlockWin7

8) Click [Proceed]
Follow the Win prompts, and enter your activation code when asked.

9) Ignore or investigate error codes

You will get a box of error codes at the end of the installation. If you are a programmer you will find them fascinating, otherwise just click [OK] at the bottom.

10) Run HRBlock from Crossover

Start CrossOver if not started already.
HRBlock appears in the list of installed Windows Programs.

If you are proficient with Linux, you may be able to install HRBlock with Wine—But this method worked well for me!

Comments

  1. CrossOver Mac This Blog commenting sites list is very helpful. Thanks for publishing this interesting and helpful blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WINE I have installed is up to version 7.1 now. Honestly HRBlock 2021 installs fine though at one point has odd error popup that isnt looking like usual WINE error. And installed, I start up the program, the fonts look fine it acts fine, wants me to enter activation code. I enter it, but it just tells me to "enter activation code" like I didnt type anything in the box? I can skip the activation and start a tax return but ??? Oh and now I have reinstalled it couple times and it now skips the activation screen, which I assume means it thinks I am now activated?? Assume this is some kind of registry thing? I have win10 available so may out of curiosity try running it in both and see what it does.

    You say you used codeweavers, so suppose it may have some bugs worked out that straight WINE doesnt. This would seem a really minor bug and in the activation part only.

    Honestly I mostly keep win10 around just to do yearly taxes. Seems MS is discontinuing support for win10 in 2025. I really dont want to mess trying to install win11 just for taxes like I did win10 when tax software refused to run on XP. Computer I have win10 on probably too old. So hopefully WINE and HRBLOCK progress to where they cooperate all the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. CodeWeavers Crossover is a commercially-developed version of WINE. For me, it seems to work better than WINE for various applications, and if I get stuck on something, Codeweavers has a forum that is helpful for solving problems. The price of their software is very reasonable too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Geomantic Magic Squares

Geomantic Magic Squares I am fascinated with patterns that have patterns within patterns, wherever I can find them. Fractals are like that– Simple equations that generate complex patterns, which don’t come out the same with successive runs.  Fractals are probably the way that Nature encodes the instructions for making trees.  How do the trees know how to do that?  Topic for another blog... The Fibonacci sequence and its related structures are another example of this– Awesome and wonderful, and a model that seems to be used by the ground structure of the Universe, as discussed in Chemistry by Number Theory. Well, here’s another one-- I have been reading about the ancient practice of Geomancy.  Geomancy is a traditional technique that apparently started somewhere in Africa or the Middle East.  The idea is to generate a series of four figures, each consisting of four levels of dots.  Each level can have one or two dots.  Once generated, the four figures are used to answer questio

How to get AAX Audiobook files into Audible Manager

How to get AAX files into Audible Manager – 20180121 My System; Lenovo ThinkPad E440 running Windows 7 64-bit running Audible Manager 5.5.0.8 My MP3 player – Sansa Fuze THE PROBLEM I can download .AAX files from my Audible account to my windows PC, but cannot get them into the Audible Manager. For several years, I have had to manually import audiobook files into the Audible Manager after downloading them from Audible. The usual process was to download the new Audiobook to the default location, C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\Audible\Downloads I would then start up the Audible Manager's army green box. Clicking [File] and selecting [Add Audio Files] in the upper right corner would take me directly to the default file location, where all of the previous downloads reside. I would then left click on the file, and click the [Import] tab at the bottom of the page to import my new AAX Audio file into Audible Manager. Once it was there, I could l