Skip to main content

The class ceiling

Re: Class warfare--
Seems appropriate to mention class warfare on Trump's inauguration day.  He was elected partly for his representation of the ignored Americans...

I first got a clue about ceilings of class in a former job from a young woman of Barbados.  She was an illegal immigrant whose first action after coming to the US was to start a delivery service company.  She had two American employees.  The somewhat shady firm I contracted with at the time paid her cash under the table to courier packages around.  They paid her way less than her competitors, but they did a good job at delivery.  About once a week, I would suggest a way for her to get ahead.  "Here's a group that helps women business owners,"  and "This other group helps minorities with business," and "This lawyer donates time for immigrant rights."  After about a month, she told me, "You seem to be very sincere, but I have tried all your suggestions and nothing actually works."

This was a real wake-up call for me.  Up to that point, I had assumed that upward mobility was an attainable goal for anyone who worked hard at it.  She was certainly hard-working, and got a full days work out of her American employees too.  But I found that her experience echoed my own.  At the time, I was marketing my skills as a sort of one-man temp services firm.  I had incorporated, and there were some advantages to that, but my profits were getting eaten up by taxes.  I could not find a way to hire employees, and the resources available to me, like those of the Barbadosian, were not working.

The successful entrepreneurs seemed at the time to be those who had a connection in local government, or people who were frankly breaking one or more laws.  That was further than I was willing to go, so I gave up and became an employee again.  The myth is still out there, that its possible or even likely for someone to bring their small business into the millions.  I think it probably does not happen very often these days.   Probably this is mostly due, at a macro level, to the tightening of energy supplies and the slow collapse of the American Empire.  And in my case, being in a mature industry without too many new variations to exploit.

I will always wonder what happened to that Barbadosian.  At the time I used to wonder, if she was caught and deported so as not to take American jobs, whether the loss of her two employees' jobs would figure into that equation.   But now I think that her illegal status satisfied the powers that be at several levels.  My shady employer was happy to underpay her, and her underpayment helped suppress wages for the fully legal delivery firms that had to compete with her.  That benefited businesses in the area, large and small.

The way to solve illegal immigration would be to legislate them the same wage rights as anyone else here.  If they have been here working and not doing crimes, give 'em a green card and fine them something affordable, and give them civil rights.  If they are criminals, deport them.  That seems like the most equitable solution to me...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Geomantic Magic Squares

Geomantic Magic Squares I am fascinated with patterns that have patterns within patterns, wherever I can find them. Fractals are like that– Simple equations that generate complex patterns, which don’t come out the same with successive runs.  Fractals are probably the way that Nature encodes the instructions for making trees.  How do the trees know how to do that?  Topic for another blog... The Fibonacci sequence and its related structures are another example of this– Awesome and wonderful, and a model that seems to be used by the ground structure of the Universe, as discussed in Chemistry by Number Theory. Well, here’s another one-- I have been reading about the ancient practice of Geomancy.  Geomancy is a traditional technique that apparently started somewhere in Africa or the Middle East.  The idea is to generate a series of four figures, each consisting of four levels of dots.  Each level can have one or two dots.  Once generated, the four figures are used to answer questio

How to get AAX Audiobook files into Audible Manager

How to get AAX files into Audible Manager – 20180121 My System; Lenovo ThinkPad E440 running Windows 7 64-bit running Audible Manager 5.5.0.8 My MP3 player – Sansa Fuze THE PROBLEM I can download .AAX files from my Audible account to my windows PC, but cannot get them into the Audible Manager. For several years, I have had to manually import audiobook files into the Audible Manager after downloading them from Audible. The usual process was to download the new Audiobook to the default location, C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\Audible\Downloads I would then start up the Audible Manager's army green box. Clicking [File] and selecting [Add Audio Files] in the upper right corner would take me directly to the default file location, where all of the previous downloads reside. I would then left click on the file, and click the [Import] tab at the bottom of the page to import my new AAX Audio file into Audible Manager. Once it was there, I could l

Installing HR Block Tax Software in Ubuntu Linux using Codeweavers Crossover

Running HR Block 2017 Tax Software in Ubuntu Linux  Using CodeWeavers Crossover 2017 US taxes are due to be filed by midnight on April 18, 2018. It will surprise no one that a lot of people have waited to the last minute to start filing. At 9:30 PM, I got a call from a young relative who needed to do his taxes for the first time ever. He is a Linux enthusiast, and does not have a Windows or Apple/Mac computer. I thought I would try installing HR Block 2017 Tax Software on the Linux side of my laptop. 1) Obtain and install Codeweavers Crossover for Linux This software allows you to run many Windows apps in Linux-- https://www.codeweavers.com/ 2) Download the HR Block Windows tax software package. This year, its available from www.hrblock.com/2017/DELUXEWIN You will need an activation code, which should be provided when you buy the package. The default download location is /home/yourname/Downloads/ The app’s name